Traveling on winter roads in New England can be daunting, to say the least. We have some of the harshest winter weather in the United States. But just because the weather is less than ideal doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pack up the whole family for a winter road trip. Whether you’re going to see relatives, heading to the best ski slopes or just wanting a change of scenery, here are a few tips that can keep you safe on the road, courtesy of Tim’s Truck Capital.
- Know what the Winter Weather Advisory designations actually mean. Winter weather advisories mean that conditions that could be hazardous, but not life threatening if you use caution. Winter storm watches are for severe winter conditions that may affect your area, issued 12-36 hours before major storms. Winter storm warnings means you can expect a storm with 4+ inches of snow/sleet in the next 12 hours or 6+ inches in 24 hours. Blizzard warnings mean you can expect snow and strong winds with blinding snow, deep drifts and a life-threatening wind chill.
- Be sure to tell a friend or family member what your travel plans are, including routes and timetables. Sometimes cell phone coverage is spotty or non-existent. You want someone to be able to find you if you break down, especially in rural areas.
- Pack a cold weather driving kit with jumper cables, blankets, kitty litter, cell phone charger, flashlight, flares, water and high calorie non-perishable food.
- Never let your gas tank get less than half full to prevent the fuel line from freezing.
- Keep extra wiper fluid in your trunk.
- Pack a first aid kit.
- Don’t drive if you start to feel drowsy. Instead, pull over to the side of the road or check into a motel.
- Make sure your headlights and tail lights are in good working order.
Let Tim’s Truck Capital And Auto Sales Winterize Your Vehicle
Before you take off on your winter road trip, bring your truck, SUV, crossover or sedan to the service experts at Tim’s Truck Capital. We’ll make sure all of your belts are in good working order, your fluids are fresh and topped off and there are no mechanical issues. Our service technicians will also check your tire pressure and do a multi-point inspection. We’re committed to providing you with exceptional customer service from the moment you enter our dealership through the life of your vehicle. We have the best selection of used cars for sale in NH and plow trucks for sale, too!
Tim’s Truck Capital
904 Suncook Valley Hwy
Epsom, NH 03234